Saturday, July 28, 2007

The Cliff House, San Francisco



After purchasing a vintage black & white photo of The Cliff House from 1958 on PoshPoints, I decided that I wanted to make a trip there to compare 1958 to 2007. The Cliff House has been in existence since the 1800s, but there seems to be a discrepancy as to whether it has been rebuilt three or four times depending which historical account you read.




No, my camera isn't broken, the sky was in fact gray. It was just a typical San Francisco summer day with thick marine layer present. Some of us think of it as "natural air conditioning." (Hey, it is much more fuel efficient than electric powered air conditioning systems! Plus it doesn't harm the environment. You just need to put on a jacket. And a beanie. And a scarf. And a pair of gloves. And some thick socks. Well, you get the picture!)



While there, we decided to dine at one of the two popular restaurants, The Bistro. I ordered the "Ben Butler Sandwich," which is Dungeness Crab Meat on grilled Sourdough with melted cheddar cheese and is served with mixed greens. Yum!

I ate half there and took the other half to go. The picture below shows the "to go" half the next day. The salad was a little wilted, but still delicious eaten with the crab! My only complaint was that the chef put too many chives into the crab meat. Why would anyone want to overpower the delicate flavor of the crab with chives?! Maybe somewhere else where the crab comes out of a can, but not in San Francisco where the crab is always fresh and tasty!



I'm glad I purchased that picture. I've been to The Cliff House and Ocean Beach many times before, but I think that the last time I went was well over ten years ago. Pretty sad considering I live less than a half an hour away. That picture convinced me I was long overdue for a trip to the beach. So, to the lady in Arizona that purchased the picture at an estate sale and decided to swap it on Posh, thank you!

Labels: , , , , ,

 

Perfume Emporium Beauty Bucks