Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Cheesesteak Review #1 ~ The Cheese Steak Shop, San Francisco




Okay, with selling being slower than slow, I have decided to have a little fun this summer. Anyone who knows me can tell you that I was born on the wrong coast. I have an obsession with everything Philly. Being inspired by the AHL Philadelphia Phantoms and their "Summer of the Steak", I decided to do my own little cheese steak taste-testing here on the West Coast.

First trip, The Cheese Steak Shop located at 1716 Divisadero Street in San Francisco. THIS PLACE ROCKED! I stopped eating beef in 2003, so I ordered the 7-inch chicken with onions and sweet peppers. I also tried an order of the curly fries.

They chopped the chicken and the onions very fine and they placed a couple of the sweet peppers on the top. These were THE sweetest tasting peppers I've ever had and they added a wonderful flavor to the sandwich. I think that I'll probably have dreams about this sandwich - yes, it was that good!

The chicken was cooked to perfection, not at all dry, and was very tasty. The onions were also perfectly cooked and did not dominate the sandwich. My only gripe is that the cheese (I had the American) was placed on the roll before the meat and was not mixed with the meat on the grill. I felt a little cheated on the first bite because it was all chicken. I prefer when the cheese is more evenly distributed throughout the sandwich. This, however, is only a minor complaint and certainly wouldn't prevent me from going back for more!

I should also mention that The Cheese Steak Shop uses Amoroso's rolls, which are a bit crunchy on the outside, and chewy inside. Yummy!

The seasoned curly fries were also excellent and not at all greasy. They were perfectly crispy and made a nice compliment to the chicken cheese steak. I dipped mine in just a bit of ketchup and mustard. Delicious!

Overall, I give The Cheese Steak Shop four and 1/2 stars out of five. Not a bad rating at all! Next time I'm going to order the 10-inch!

Labels: , ,

 

Perfume Emporium Beauty Bucks