Friday, July 20, 2007

Cheesesteak Review #3 ~ Jake's Steaks, San Francisco


I have been to Jake's Steaks in San Francisco twice before this visit (the first was excellent, the second was terrible), but this review will focus on only this third sandwich. I didn't place my own order because I just had a rather intense eye exam and could not see a thing. Ordered for me was a 15 inch chicken with American cheese, sweet peppers and hot peppers. (Each pepper ordered was an additional 50 cents.)

Jake's chicken is cut in chunks and they melt the cheese on the meat so that you get an even proportion throughout your sandwich. They use my favorite, Amoroso's rolls. Although I love hot peppers, they overpower the flavor of everything else, so I ate those first so that I could actually taste the other ingredients. Jake's loads heaping helpings of meat onto the rolls. I wish I had put this thing on a scale. It was ENORMOUS and felt like it weighed a ton! I only chowed down half of it and saved the other half for another meal.

The onions were nicely cooked. The hot peppers were too overpowering and the sweet peppers had little taste. (Jake's uses banana peppers rather than bell peppers.) The chicken wasn't dry, but lacked that "something" I experienced with the sandwich in my first review.

This sandwich was definitely better than Jersey Joe's, but not as good as The Cheese Steak Shop. I give this cheesesteak a three and 1/2 star rating. Careful if you go to Jake's though, as the quality of the food doesn't seem to be consistent.

Almost forgot to mention, my party also ordered a side of the waffle fries. Ummmmm. I'm not really a French fry fan, but these were really good! Must be the shape ...


Labels: , , , ,

 

Perfume Emporium Beauty Bucks